Tuesday, February 26, 2013

A Close Encounter With... Tessa Stockton



Today, I am joined by Tessa Stockton.  Please make her feel welcome.

I grew up in a home where music floated from every room. My parents were professional musicians, as well as siblings, uncles, aunts, and cousins. I, too, entered the professional world—but as a dancer first, musician second, with the dream of becoming a romance novelist one day. Now that I’m living in that day, I’m often asked if I listen to music while I write. At first I’d found it distracting, focusing on the progression of the song instead of the story. But now I find it inspires during my writing time, and even sometimes gives me an initial idea from which to launch a book.

Wind’s Aria, my latest fantasy romance, is one of those stories. I sat listening to Samuel Barber’s Adagio for Strings. The arrangement swells and rises, climaxing, pulling me with it. It’s also described as, potentially, the saddest music ever written—not that I’m a sad person but I’m an emotive individual and the feeling of sadness evokes greater creativity in me, therefore I’m drawn to it.

I imagined/fantasized an entire scene, a gorgeous yet tormented creature, set to doom the chosen Songstress of their realm and of his confliction over it. Not only is he attracted to her, but he sees goodness in her that he lacks, and in fact doesn’t quite understand. So when she finds herself in trouble, he rescues her and takes to the skies with his new charge, the beautiful Songstress in his arms, where they have moment…an Adagio for Strings moment.

Excerpt:

The wind danced. Currents swirled and weaved her hair overhead. The rest of her body he cradled like a babe in his arms. Soaring, she glanced over his marble shoulder at the lights of her city far below, barely twinkling there above the thin clouds.
Gentle, tender . . . he kissed the top of her head.
This is the wretched creature, the Il-Bora; the evil being that . . . that . . . saved her?
And the one she should trust, the Meleyan leader, Governor Talx . . . not what he seemed.
Aria sighed as she mused, fatigued, and rested her head against the expanse of the winged-man’s exquisite form, feeling protected, safe, in a content place.
Not sure how much time they spent in the air, the hypnotic beat of wide, translucent wings . . . whoosh, whoosh, in, out . . . made her drowsy. Though she shut her eyes, Aria could still feel his intent, unbroken gaze on her. She didn’t care and exhaled the burdens she desired to release.
While he spoke, his voice, again smooth like velvet, she kept her lids closed, dreamily enjoying the musicality the tone produced. Like enchantment. What did he ask? Oh, right.
“I’m fine,” she mumbled.
“Really?”
“Truly.” Aria moaned with satisfaction, in spite of the chill his hard arms produced, the wings folding in and out, stirring air that proved even colder at that altitude.
His gentle chuckle broke the spell and she struggled to straighten from the ball he held her in. “Easy. It’s a long way down,” he murmured.
*****

And the rest is history. So, you see, music can play a crucial part in the crafting of novels. Wind’s Aria is almost entirely inspired by music. So is the paranormal romance I’m currently working on, influenced by Ricky Martin’s “She Bangs”—but that’s a different story! : )

What about you? How does music play a role? Or does it? Maybe you’re a creative who prefers the sound of silence… I’d love to hear about it.
 

Bio:
Tessa Stockton is a multi-published novelist of romance and intrigue. Wind’s Aria is the first in her fantasy romance eNovella series, The Brother’s Keep.

Blurb: “Aria falls into the hands of the dreaded angel who seems to have stolen more than her voice…”


Social Media Links:

International Purchase Link:
Soul Mate Publishing: http://www.soulmatepublishing.com/winds-aria/

Thanks for joining us here today.
Imogene

2 comments:

  1. Imogene, thanks so much for the guest spot today. You have a cool blog. It's great to visit. : )

    ReplyDelete