Tuesday, November 19, 2013

A Bite Of... Larisa Anderson

Today, fellow Beachwalk Press author, Larisa Anderson has joined me to chat about her experience of writing Paranormal Romance. So join me in making her welcome...

Writing Paranormal

I never set out to write paranormal romances. They tend to take shape when I realise that my hero is a werewolf or vampire. This tends to happen by itself. At the start of Taming the Hunted, my current book, Gabriel was just a regular guy. It wasn’t until he tried to control her mind that I realised I was venturing into paranormal. Then I realised that he was a pack leader for sure! Such an annoying alpha. Anyway, my point is that I am a paranormal author but to me this is just a contemporary story with a werewolf. I know that genres are separated for a reason, it helps the reader to know what the book will be about. But I also have to wonder if this separation is a good thing? We tend to find a genre we love and stick with it. If this book was classed as a suspense, would paranormal readers pick it up? Would they even know that it has a hunky werewolf in it? This division is essentially telling readers what they should read. Hey you like vampires, well then you will love this.

Personally I think there needs to be a whole new classification system. You enter three books that you love and it generates a read list for you. Like what iTunes does for songs. Amazon currently tells you that those who bought this book also bought these. 9/10 times I will click on those other titles because I think, hey, my people liked this book so I might like other things they do too. The best thing that ever happened to me when I was growing up was finding a friend who had very similar reading taste to me. If I liked a book I would hand it over to her to read and vice versa. It didn’t matter what genre it was, it was the writing style that got us.

So when I say that I’m a paranormal Romance author I say it with a grain of salt. I like to think of myself for as a funny, whitty writer who sometimes writes paranormal. But then again I have never fit in a mould well. I’m a librarian, a blackbelt and I like knitting. I look like a sweet little girl but write Erotic romance. My sister takes great pleasure in showing people my picture then telling them what I write and watching their expression and disbelief. They say, Don’t judge a book by its cover, well I say don’t judge a book by its genre. How about you? Ever read outside your comfort zone and been pleasantly surprised?

Taming the Hunted:

Hunting just got hotter.

Marian is a hunter of night creatures. She stalks and stakes vampires, isn't afraid of the odd silver bullet if a werewolf turns rogue, and is perfectly content with her complete lack of social life.

When a staking goes wrong, a handsome, mesmerizing man comes to Marian's rescue. But Gabriel isn't what he seems to be. After Marian loses consciousness she awakes to find herself in a house filled with werewolves.


If she can survive the night she might discover that sometimes opposites attract in the best ways. Now if she could just silence that irritating little voice in the back of her mind that keeps reminding her that hunters are supposed to kill creatures of the night, not date them. 

Where to buy:

Beachwalk Press     Amazon     Barnes & Noble

About Larisa Anderson

A librarian by day, a belly-dancing firefighter by night. You might not think my life could get more interesting, but there's nothing better than curling up with a good book on a cold Australian winter night, especially one that I have written myself where I get to control every kiss and caress.

I write stories that make me laugh, because life needs a little humor and a lot of spice. My heroes are strong and my ladies know how to take charge, even if they get a little distracted along the way.


Where to connect with Larisa Anderson:
Website     Blog     Twitter     Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment