Thursday, February 13, 2014

Learning To Make Teaser Cards


Oh joy... Today I decided to make teaser cards for my release. It sounds so simple doesn't it? But I opened the file in Paint, started to overlay the text and it looked like... Well something you'd scrape off the bottom of your shoe.

In fact it's so bad... I won't show you!

So a little bit of looking around yielded Pixlr.com (most of my friends swear by Photoshop and Gimp but me? Well, by now you should know I'm different.)

The long and quite laborious process began with me looking at using layers. I don't know a lot about them, except they are necessary to introduce everything neatly.

Yeah, so I started. Title, Blurb, cover image, release date and my url.

I started with a cover image bought from Canstock - it is reminiscent of a space station and gave me the dark look I wanted.   

But the colours of the background were too bright, the title had to be low, to make up for the white tones.  

It looked stark and unbalanced.  So I tried again. 
This time I included a layer of dark behind the blurb, increased its font size and made a significant colour change while adding “flare” to the title.

Now this time I was much happier. Only thing is I haven’t worked out how to add the image so I did it by  moving it to paint… Uh yeah. Pain in…

But you know, it could be worse.

By the third incarnation I had the background behind the blurb text right. But… uh oh, the background of the image was still too bright. It was suggested that I darkened the background all over a little so it didn’t dominate.

Then to make the font of the title wider… Well unfortunately that last bit didn’t work.

But… I do have a finished product.

Let me know what you think!


No comments:

Post a Comment