Monday, January 16, 2012

Excerpt Number 2

Soo... I thought a second excerpt might whet your appetite, so here below is the next...

The pounding on the door pulled her from her thoughts as it echoed through the building. It interrupted her thinking, but given it had continued for a while, she just couldn’t ignore it any longer. She rose from her chair, and making her way toward the front of the store, she muttered under her breath, “It’s Saturday, people.” Couldn’t they see the shop was closed? Opening the blind on the door, she peered out to see a man on the step. “We’re closed!” she called. He looked at her and made a move to open the door.

“We are closed.”

She repeated herself, and then heard a mutter of “You have something…”

She lost the gist of what he said as she got a good look at the muscular man with black hair and piercing green eyes standing on the stoop. God, he looked so sexy!

“Can you let me in?” she finally heard.

“What? Oh sorry,” she said, quickly unlocking the door and opening it a crack. “Now what did you say?”

“You have something that belongs to me,” said the impossibly sexy man, and she wondered if he would think her nuts asking for a photo. He looked just like what she thought George would. She grinned to herself. Sure girl. Jem would ask something like that. She blinked away the thought and focused on the man in front of her.

“Ummm, I don’t think so,” said Mellissa, making to close the door.

“A pad…” And the memory twigged.

“Oh, right,” she said, sliding away from the door, just enough to let him in, and then re-securing the locks. “We are closed on Saturdays, so you are lucky I was here.” Motioning for him to follow her, she made her way to the back of the store. She stopped at the doorway and watched him look around the store.

“Please take a seat,” Mellissa offered, motioning to a seat. Casting around, she looked for the package. “I’m sorry, what did you say your name was? Mr…?”

“McCord, Duvall McCord,” the gorgeous stranger intoned. His eyes roamed over her, and uncomfortably she got the feeling he liked what he saw, but that seemed silly because she looked so very ordinary. Certainly not the sort of girl who would appeal to a buff and sexy male like this. All Alpha, she thought, and she embarrassed herself by blushing at her thoughts. She could feel the heat of the red tide rising on her cheeks.

Spying the package on a small table just behind her desk, she stretched for it, when suddenly a loud crash and whine came from the back of the building, and before she could blink, McCord reached for his pocket and some sort of device.

“Get down!” he shouted, leaning over her, covering her body with his. He grabbed her hand and the package together. “Two for transport NOW!” he shouted, and the world turned black.

Now, this time I have something very special...

Giveaway Time!

A copy of Starline as a thank you to you lovely lovely people following my blog. So to win, here is all you need to do...

Tell me, if you had a chance to visit anywhere in the future, Where and What you would like to see.

I am going to give this away on Thursday 19th January, so you have plenty of time to think up some fantastic answers. The competition closes at 9am strictly Queensland Time.

12 comments:

  1. Firstly, congratulations on the release of Starline. I bet you are bouncing off the walls with excitement. The excerpts have definately ignited my curiosity. Good luck with the release.

    As far as the question goes.... If I could go anywhere in the future I would love to see if humans have stopped fighting long enough to develop a prescence on other worlds...the moon, Mars maybe one of Saturn's moons. It would be cool to see how it was done and the effects it has had on the people living there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG - is this where it stops - please give me more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm the future....I'd like a glimpse of 3050 just to see how far we've come (or regressed!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on getting published! Can't wait to see it in paperback ! I am interested in the technology required to travel far far away ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd like to travel about 500 years into the future to find out if we do manage to destroy the earth.

    Great story. I'll have to purchase it to find out what happens next!

    ReplyDelete
  6. An author that keeps you wanting more & more & more. A must read and lets see if the humans can belong in another planet but we will have to wait - oh no not 500 years :(
    Excellent story - keep them coming :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd like to skip just 100 years ahead and see how my grandkids and their kids are doing and try to help if I could.
    As we know, things get harder in many ways for each generation and if I could help in some way, it'd be great!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The excerpts are great - can't wait for the book!

    I'd love to visit the point where we reach the singularity ie he event of virtual superintelligence so I could see how we as humanity relate to it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I could go anywhere in the future I would love to see if humans have stopped fighting long enough to develop a prescence on other worlds.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would want to skip ahead 500 or 1,000 years to see our technology and people have changed. Thanks for the giveaway and Congratulations.

    Rachel
    pefrw(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  11. A Huge congratulations on the publication, from the excerpts it sounds wonderfully well deserved and I cant wait to read the entire thing.

    I am going to show my complete geek side now, and say I would like to go the the time when the original Star Trek was set and see what Man is really doing in the 23rd century. Although I feel I would probably be disappointed. For a start I bet no one has bouffant blond hair and teeny mini dress uniforms.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Woot! The winner is drawn...and the winner is JJ Somerville

    Email hopefully coming your way in a few minutes!

    ReplyDelete