Thursday, March 8, 2012

Romance is just one story arc

You know, there just isn't a lot of good SciFi romance around - so when fellow Aussie Greta popped up her hand, to say her next release, Starheart was about to be released, what else could I do.

Please welcome Great van der Rol.

Thanks so much for having me here today, Imogene. My latest science fiction romance, Starheart, has just been released and it's wonderful to have an opportunity to tell your readers a little more about the book.

I've sometimes wondered if I'd be capable of writing a standard romance, where the 'theme' is 'love conquers all' and the 'happy ever after' is the aim of the plot. I have to say, I suspect the answer is 'no'. I think the closest to 'just' a romance I've ever written is the two Iron Admiral books. Even then the books are full of action and adventure and some more difficult themes.

That's why I describe my science fiction novels as having 'a dollop of romance'. If I took out the romance, the story would stand. But I don't think it would be as interesting. Romance is about relationships and the resolution of conflicts. In my novels, you could say the romance element complicates things for my characters. Would he take that risk if he didn't love her? Could she risk getting involved with him? Could she trust him?

Starheart is no different. At its core it is a mystery which starts with the death of Jess Sondijk's husband in a botched raid. When Jess and her first officer, Santh Dekstra, investigate what happened, they are drawn into a web of intrigue and duplicity, all the while trying to keep their activities secret from Admiral Hudson.

Here's a hint of what's to come. Hudson and Jess are at dinner together. Hudson is asking questions.

"What exactly happened? This was a Militia patrol ship that

stopped him, was it not?"

What was this about? Maybe he was asking questions about the Militia and how they did things? Whatever. She had nothing to hide. "Yes. I wasn't there. The report said Troy made an aggressive movement, waved a weapon and he was killed."

"He was smuggling drugs?"

She shook her head. "Rubbish. Never drugs; never. Besides, they take Nervana up to Tabora to suck in bored miners. They don't bring it back."

He spread both hands. "But it was found."

"It was planted to cover up the botched raid. That's what I think, anyway. The officer got jumpy, thought Troy was pulling a gun and overreacted." She shrugged.

"So you don't believe any of it?"

"No. Not then, not now. An incompetent bully-boy covered up a fatal mistake. It wouldn't be the first time." She picked up her glass, sipped at her wine. This was uncomfortable. She didn't want to talk about it. It was over.

"True."

"Look, it's in the past." She twirled her glass in her fingers, watching the wine swirl around the bowl.

"Forgive me. Why weren't you on this trip?"

"I was away, at the hospital with Tenna, my daughter. She'd been taken ill, extremely ill."

Memories flooded. Tenna lying on a sheet, her face parchment-white, tubes, nanobots taking over her functions, drips, oscillating lines on screens. And then to top it off, Troy was dead.

"Is your daughter recovered?" Hudson's eyes reflected sympathy.

"Yes, but learning her father was dead didn't help."

"No, I expect not. He was alone on that trip?"

"No. There has to be a first officer. Regulations. But it was an unusual trip. The first officer, his best friend, was bashed within an inch of his life on Tabora, so he had a stand-in co-pilot. Vera might be a competent navigator but she's a pain in the ass."

Hudson rested his chin on his hand. "Who was bashed? Where?"

The memories flooded back. He'd burst the dam with all his questions, damn him.

"Santh. Santhias Dekstra, he's my first officer, now. He couldn't make the trip home with Troy because he was in the med centre on Tabora."

"And this Vera was the replacement first officer?"

"That's right. Vera Quattro. She's a freelance, a locum if you like. She needed a trip home after taking a ship to Tabora. I heard she complained about getting boarded, too. Troy's dead and she's whining about her reputation. Stupid bitch."

"Did you ask for an investigation into his death?"

She met his gaze. "They did an investigation. I have the report. 'Dear Ms Sondijk, we're dreadfully sorry your husband was killed, it was an accident, these things happen, have a nice day.'" She pushed her fingers into her forehead. Damn it. She was over this. Over it.

"The case can be re-opened if you're not happy."

"What the hell for? It won't bring him back, won't change anything. No thanks."

****

You can find out more about Starheart on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Starheart-ebook/dp/B007B1W37O/ref=dp_return_1?ie=UTF8&n=133140011&s=digital-text

I'll be at http://heidirubymiller.blogspot.com.au on 9th March to answer six questions.

To celebrate the release of 'Starheart' I'll be giving a $25 Amazon gift voucher to one person who leaves a comment on any of the blogs I visit until 10th March. So leave a comment here and you'll be in the draw.

Bio

Greta van der Rol loves writing science fiction with a large dollop of good old, healthy romance. She lives not far from the coast in Queensland, Australia and enjoys photography and cooking when she isn't bent over the computer. She has a degree in history and a background in building information systems, both of which go a long way toward helping her in her writing endeavours.

Links:

> - http://gretavanderrol.net/
> - http://twitter.com/GretavdR
> - http://www.facebook.com/Author.Greta.vanderRol

3 comments:

  1. Interesting excerpt. Totally enjoyed it. Best of luck. About romance. I find it difficult to read a book that doesn't have a dollop of romance...I love mystery, but I want the romance, too...Different tastes makes the world go round...lol...May you have many sells...Tabs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sci-fi, don't get the opportunity to read often enough. Great excerpt. I'll check out your other blogs this week. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading the first chapter of the book on Greta's blog, I'm really hooked to finish the book.

    darkenf(at)rocketmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete