Thursday, February 7, 2013

A Close Encounter With... Khloe Wren

Welcome One!  Welcome All!

Today on my blog we have the irrepressible Khloe Wren.  Khloe is a fellow Hotter Than Hades author, great friend and awesome author.  (Squishes over on the couch to make room.) Sit yourself down and have a drink of champagne. (No cheapskates here, I’m sure it cost at least $5.99 a bottle!)


So without any further fanfare, let’s get into the interview.

Hi Khloe, it’s so great you could join me today.


Happy to be here with you, and thanks for having me Imogene. Hmmm, bubbles…


Briefly in ten words or less, why did you get into writing?


You know me better than to limit this answer to ten words! I'll try…


I've always read a lot, so writing was the natural progression for me.


Well, look at that! Thirteen words, it's pretty close.


Do you prefer coffee, tea or hot chocolate when writing?


(shudder) I can't stand the smell of coffee. If I'm freezing cold I'll have a hot chocolate but caffeine comes in Coke and chocolate for good reason. I'll admit to being addicted to both.


When you wrote Her Guardian Angel, did you have a plan in mind, or did it just roll?


I'd been reading a lot of shifter books and just before I had a major surgery I got the idea for Firefighting Snow Leopard shifters. In the drug haze of my week hospital stay the idea cemented into something more solid. But I still didn't start writing. I was too scared to do it. I ended up confessing my idea to my husband who encouraged me to start writing it.  So, I had a basic concept but most of the storyline came to me as I wrote. I'm totally a 'pantser'. There are two major twists near the end, I didn't know about either one until I was writing them.


Six interesting people, alive, dead or fiction can join you for dinner, who would you invite and why?


Hmmm, only six… That takes out the Black Dagger Brotherhood because I can't have them all.


JR Ward and Sherrilyn Kenyon are two of my favourite authors. I'd probably just pass out or wet myself if I ever met either one, but I would still love to meet them. Sherrilyn does a lot of work in schools to help end bullying.


I'd like to meet many fictional characters. Dinner with Acheron and Simi (Dark Hunter Series) would be well worth the effort I'm sure.


Who else, hmm. The Dalai Lama would be awe inspiring I'm sure (and I could quiz him to help me with my future books - my shifters were originally created by Tibetan Monks).


And to finish off, Pink. The woman rocks. She's quirky, original and freely claims all her actions. She could bring Willow and we could do a play date. My youngest is the same age.


What was the single biggest thing you’ve learned about yourself on the writing journey?


The reason I've never fitting in anywhere was because I was looking in the wrong places! I finally feel like I fit in the world now that I've found writing and other authors who see the world like I do.


What tips would you give emerging writers, to help them along the way?


Join up to writing groups. The support you get from other authors is invaluable.


People will judge and damn you no matter what you do, so do what you love and do it well.


 Favourite book/author and why?


Oh my, just the one? I seriously have so many!  I guess, Unleash The Night, by Sherrilyn Kenyon is right up the top of the list. The hero, Wren, is where my pen name came from. Wren is such a tortured hero, he is a beautiful half breed shifter who has been rejected by so many he feels like he doesn't belong anywhere. Maggie doesn't feel like she fits in her life either. Their story is great, lots of suspense… and sex of course.


Tell us an amazing fact you have learned since you started writing.


I've learned that characters really do come alive and chat away inside your head - at all hours of the day and night. Also, that heros don't like waiting their turn. They try to push you to write their book before their time. Yes Xander, I'm talking to you (his book is due to be the fifth in Fire and Snow series - a fact he repeatedly tells me he doesn't like).


List the five Must Have’s in your mind, every writer should have.


1.       Computer/laptop with an extra screen plugged in. I have my research and character profile document open on one screen, then the actual manuscript open on the other.


2.       Ergonomic keyboard. You have to be comfortable, when in the zone you can end up typing for hours. My wrists don't like doing that without my ergonomic keyboard.


3.       'The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Character Expression' by Angela Ackerman and Becca Puglisi. I love this book, it saves my day regularly.


4.       Quiet space to write. I'm still working on this, with two small children I don't get it very often. But I hear it helps a lot! Also having a door that locks from the inside on your office would be helpful. My office is a converted carport that I share with my husband (who works from home) and a play area for our kids. But hey, a girl can dream.


5.       Support. Hopefully your family and friends. I've met some truly wonderful people, like the darling Imogene Nix, in online author groups. The Erotic Writers Australia Face Book group keeps me laughing on a daily basis, and without Angela Castle's assistance I would have stopped writing before I really started when I nearly got taken for a ride by a dubious publisher.


What can we expect to see from you next?


Well, I'm 'coming out' at ARRA 13 in Brisbane in March. It will be my first real life appearance as Khloe Wren. I'm very excited.


I'm also gearing up for the release of my first Novella, 'Sealed with a Honeyed Kiss: Book 1 of the Dragons of Feury'. This will be part of the Edible Delights Anthology Volume One and is due for release on 17 May 13.


My first full length novel is 'Her Guardian Angel: Book 1 of Fire and Snow', I'm currently neck deep in edits with this one, but all is going smoothly for its 1 June 13 debut.


Khloe is also the author of Fireworks (buy link & cover image)






Excerpt:



"So this is what you run away to do each New Year’s Eve."

Kosta's deep, heavily accented voice vibrated through her. Heating her up… just as it always had.

"What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be at the party?" Louise cursed under her breath as she heard the huskiness of her voice. She didn't want this Greek God of a man to know how she felt. She didn't want to lose his friendship. He was too important.

"I wanted to see you, Louise. Only you... not all our friends."

Every ounce of moisture in her mouth dried up at his words. Was he saying he wanted her? The heat from his body was making it hard to think. She licked her now dry lips before she spoke.

"Why would you want to be alone with me? I don't understand."

"I wanted to be alone with you so I could start off this year the way I intend to continue throughout the year."

Kosta's words didn't help ease her confusion. Her brain was still short circuiting from the heat of his touch. She needed him to be specific, too afraid to assume anything.

"How is that?"

"Just. Like. This..."

Kosta turned her to face him, embracing her in his strong arms. With only a scrap of material between her breasts and his muscular pecs, her nipples hardened instantly and she couldn't help but groan as they came into contact with his heated flesh. Kosta took advantage of her mouth being slightly open.

He didn't just kiss her, he devoured her. He pulled back from her just as the fireworks lit up the night sky… exactly like they'd lit up her body and soul moments ago.

"...alone, with you in my arms."

Louise rested her head against his chest and sighed into him. There was no doubt about what he wanted.

"I-I can't lose you, Kosta. If you're not serious, if you only want some fun... we can't do this."

His strong fingers gently lifted her head and she found herself mesmerised by his eyes, green as the sea, as she sank into their depths. The world around them faded away.

"I want you, Louise, for more than just fun. I'm dead serious about wanting to start each day with you in my arms."

Louise wriggled her arms free from where they were trapped against his chest and wrapped them around his waist, pulling his body flush against hers. His hard arousal pressed against her bare stomach, the thin layer of his board shorts offered next to no protection. His hot length burned against her.

"I've wanted you for so long. Never in a million years did I think you'd ever want me."

She winced at her too honest confession; before she could try to take it back he spoke.

"Of course I want you. What sane man wouldn't? You're beautiful inside and out. Why didn't you say something sooner? I’ve seen you watching me. But you hide your thoughts well. I didn’t think you wanted more than friendship from me."

"I wanted you in my life, Kosta. If I had to settle for friendship to do it, then that was okay. As long as you were near me."



Among her slated releases are:



Her Guardian Angel: Book 1 Fire and Snow – Releasing with Rogue Phoenix Press - due1 June 2013

Sealed with a Honeyed Kiss: Book 1 Dragons of Feury – Releasing with Secret Cravings Publishing – Part of the Edible Delights Anthology Vol 1 due 17 May 2013



Bio:



Khloe Wren started writing her first novel in high school, until it mysteriously disappeared from the family computer (her older brother was the lead suspect but nothing was ever proved). She didn't put pen to paper again after that for a number of years but she did keep reading. Khloe has always loved all things paranormal: sexy vampires and sultry shifters have always been her favourites. So when she picked up writing again, it seemed only natural to write paranormal romance.
Khloe lives in country South Australia with her incredibly patient husband and two daughters. When she's not sitting at her laptop writing, she's spending time with family or friends, kicking butt at karate or feeding her addictions of reading, eating chocolate and drinking Coke.
Khloe loves to hear from her fans, you can find her at:







Thank you so much to Khloe for joining us today. 



Anytime Imogene, thanks for having me. How about we run a giveaway?

Okay then, to one random poster, we are giving away a PDF copy of Fireworks.  So remember to add your email address so I can hunt you down!  Competition closes  8am Wednesday 13th, 2013 (Queensland Time)

Imogene

5 comments:

  1. Hi Khloe,

    Great interview. Nice getting to know a bit more about you. Congratulations on the release of Fireworks and I wish you many sales and rave reviews :)

    Cheers
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi ladies, enjoyed the interview and it's great to learn about you, Khloe. Congrats with your releases.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey ladies and gents.. (gotta slip that one in!) A winner has been drawn) It was an emailed comment - unfortunately this person couldn't leave a message as she's having problems with her computer.

    So a big congrats to Cherie... the winner of the copy of Fireworks.

    ReplyDelete