Monday, June 17, 2013

A Close Encounter with... Ellen Mae Franklin


Tarkeenia is a world I created for the ‘Tarkeenia Sagas’and the first book in this series is titled,‘The Unseen Promise’. It is a wonderful place to write in. It brims with wonder, and holds unexpected twists and turns. Even I, the creator find immense joy as I lose myself along its many paths, encountering monsters and men. To this day, I am learning more about its inhabitants and its alien beauty.I love conversing with The Unseen Promise’s characters and marvel each time I sit to write, at the story as it has over the years, unfolded into a complex journey with many shades of light and dark.

I have found, as I took to writing like a duck does to water, that I am a Panster by nature.  Writing by the seat of my pants is what I love and naturally take to. This series, will more than likely take on the shape of three separate books.

I did not choose to become a writer. But, I will say that like everyone who writes, I wish I had done this all my life.


The Unseen Promise began with a single character, his dream and a message that Iwished to convey to the reader. Curiosity is the focal essence and with these three elements, The Unseen Promise took shape and colour.I believe, that I have achieved a complex weave of fascinating scenarios, with characters who, bicker and love, scheme and delight, offering you, the reader an insight to a world on the brink of chaos.

I decided during the writing process to take on a pen name. I have chosen the middle names of my three children, Ellen Mae Franklin.

Allow me to introduce a couple of the characters from The Unseen Promise.Please, give them both a warm welcome -Quaverit, the Stork Man and Bulbo, the Colliery Officious Pen Pusher.

EMF - Thank you very much for taking time out of your very busy schedules to speak to the readers.. Please, make yourselves comfortable and we will begin. I would like to ask you Master Quaverit, to explain to the readers what a Murrdock is.

Quaverit - Good gracious! How is it, that a single reader out there doesn’t know a Murrdock when he’s talking to one? My word! Well, I am one, a proud Stork Man. Anyone can see the fine bird in me. See the fine, long nose. It is reminiscent of my family line, long necked birds in the service of Royalty.
Quaverit looks down at his lap, struggling to come to terms with what he needs to say next.
I hate to mention the down side of what we each are, being half human is shameful. At least, it is for me, they’re all magic users and eaters of flesh. No, my animal side is far more pleasing.

EMF - You have a fabulous name. Could you tell us the correct pronunciation and what it is, you do for a living.

He puffs out his thin chest - proud as punch by the looks.
Quaverit - I am the Chamberlain to the Royal Family of Kinaloch and you may pronounce my name as (Qua - vair - it).

EMF - What is so special about being part animal.

Quaverit - Oh! That is such an easy question and I am very happy that you thought to ask me this. It’s my feathers. See how white they are. I have them on the top of my head. The Stork Man turns his head, this way and that I also have them on my …. He flushes with embarrassment and points to his backside you know, they are sticking out of the hole in my pants. Aren’t they beautiful, you won’t find whiter feathers in all of Tarkeenia.

EMF - What do you do with your days?

Quaverit - I have duties Miss Ellen Mae Franklin, very important duties for the King and Queen of the land. I introduce guests, and make appointments for petitioners. I am constantly, having to redress mistakes the other servants make. As, if I don’t have enough to do, but it is well known that I have a very important role.   

EMF - How would you describe yourself to the readers?

Quaverit - I am elegant if not anything Ellen, and modest too if I must say so. I have long legs and a beautiful long neck. See? But it is my long nose that offers salute to the Stork in me.
He frowns
The rest of me is pretty much human. My body is not unlike yours. I am not overly fond about talking to anyone of that part of me. 
           
EMF - Is there something in your world that you value above all else?

Quaverit - Please, if you haven’t of noticed already He fingers the gold medallion around his neck
You see this wondrous pendant? It was given to me by King Tarmet, it’s my badge of office. No one else has anything that matches its brilliance. I like to hang it out front, on top of my blue vest. It is a part of my uniform and I couldn’t be more proud.

EMF - I’ve heard rumours about a certain Rhino Man that has of late been keeping some very unsavory company. Do you know anything about this?

He looks a little shaken and checks over his shoulder before he leans forward. A slim finger brushes his lips.
Quaverit - I don’t like to listen to rumours, but I do fear it is a very important part of my work, if you catch my meaning. Sometimes there is truth to the whispers you hear in the dark corners and corridors of the palace.
He sits back in his seat and wrinkles his long nose is disgust
I don’t much like Boallag, the Rhino and he knows it. He keeps company that I would never dream of meeting with myself, but is he causing trouble. Well, Ellen it’s not my place to say. We have a code in the servants quarters of keeping what we hear secret. So, if you please, we need to move along.
           
EMF - Is there one last piece of information about yourself that you feel the reader should know?

Quaverit - Manners! Yes, it has to be manners. The world just doesn’t run right without manners. Too much pushing and shoving otherwise, I can’t abide those that want what others have.

EMF - Quaverit, I have had an amazing time chatting to you and I can’t wait to see what happens in The Unseen Promise. Please help yourself to the refreshments while I speak with our other friend.

My next guest is a mighty man in his own right. Please, welcome Bulbo, the dwarf
.Can you tell the reader a little about yourself?

Bulbo - Beggin’ ya pardon Miss I have a very important title for the work I do in the Machobe mines. I used to do some mining me’self but I found the paperwork side of things a serious matter. My title was givin’ to me by Jezub. I am the Colliery Officious Pen Pusher.I take care of the paperwork and all such things that no one else wants to handle.

EMF - I have heard it said, that all dwarves are hungry for gold and what it brings. Is this true?

Bulbo - I would take offense to such a sayin’ if I didn’t think it to be true. We get given all kinds of names, cause of the fact that we like the colour. Some call us Capitalists; some call us Country Bumpkins. Iwish I knew what that last one meant.
He scrubs at his large bulbous nose
All I can say, is that we seek the colour Miss. Gold and silver, and I can’t forget the gems, now can I? It’s what we live for: it’s what we love.

EMF - Is it true that Dwarves are masters in the working of metal and the very rare prize - glass?

He nods his large head up and down with excitement
Bulbo - Oh! Yes indeed we are. True Masters and if I may say so, I won a contest once. In me early days, when the colour sang it’s loudest, I shaped a piece of glass into a horse. It’s mane and tail, streaming out behind its dancin’ legs. Benzine bells and braids adorned the animal. My piece has never been bartered.
He pulls out a figurine. An exquisite piece in the shape of a rose
See this flawed piece, it ain’t not very good work. An apprentice’s skill could never equal it’ master, but on short notice, you get what you get.
He holds it up and slowly turns in around in his stubby fingers
See Miss! How the light catches so. You can ‘ave it if you like. I ain’t no use for such an inferior piece of glass.

EMF - I must say Mister Bilbo, I love your hat.

Bulbo - You do? It isa tricorneor so I have been told. Its one of my most treasured possessions, short of me miner’s hat. Yellow is me favouritecolour and the picture. See, if you look real ‘ard at it, there is a feathered quill. A badge of my office and title. You see Miss. us dwarves love our titles, but for all that it is worth, we love our gold more.

EMF - You have such a handsome beard Bulbo. Are all dwarven beards long?

Bulbo - My beard is the same as any other dwarves I s’pose. Mine is red, a very lucky colour by dwarven standards. See if I stand in the light, see how it shines. I plait it and then tuck it into my pants belt, like this.
He shoves a few stubby fingers into the front of his pants, adjusting his beard with pride
My eyebrows. They’re the same colour, thick and bushy just the way I like ‘em.

EMF - Is it true that all dwarves love a good scrum?

Bulbo - Aw, don’t get us wrong please, we are a greedy people, that much is true but a good fight is the perfect way to solve these grumblings. Sometimes there ain’t no time to get it sorted in the right order of things. There’s nothin’ wrong with a fist or two, a bit of beard pulled and the odd shin kickin’. Believe me Miss. a scrum here or there is a welcome diversion to the dark.

EMF - Just one last question Bulbo. Can you tell us something about yourself that readers might find interesting?

Bulbo - Well, I don’t mind a bit of knitting every once and awhile. When all the filings done and I am ready to put my feet up. I like to sit by the fire and clack away. I’m considered a fine knitter where I come from.

EMF - Well, we have come to the end of our wonderful interview and I would like to thank you both for joining me in the celebration of my new fantasy book,The Unseen Promise’. I wish you both much joy and please, keep safe in that world of yours.

I would like to conclude my Guest Post with a thank you to the readers and I hope that upon buying a copy of ‘The Unseen Promise’you will continue to support my other works, under the pen name of Ellen Mae Franklin.     

Blurb:
Set on the world Tarkeenia, this story marks the struggle between God and man, magic and indefinable evil.  It is awash with life. Monsters walk the shadows and the tip of balance between dark and light, good and evil is tenuous, even on a good day.                



Author Bio
Born in Adelaide, South Australia, this mother of three is following her passion for Fantasy writing.  She published The Unseen Promise in 2013, after revitalizing the urge to complete the first book in the Tarkeenia Sagas.  She is currently working on subsequent manuscripts and is involved in various writing and creative communities.
She is writing under the pseudonym of her children’s middle name - Ellen Mae Franklin.

Where to chat with Ellen Mae Franklin:


Buy Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment