Monday, November 4, 2013

The action that stops the Mojo...

I love writing. I adore being able to sink down inside the mind of my characters to plumb their depths, to bring them the power of intense passion... To...

Dang it all! There goes the gas lift in my ruddy chair again!

Lately, I've been struggling with my writing chair. It's driving me up the wall. Every time I get to a juicy bit, a new sentence or to return ready for a new paragraph, I get that sinking feeling. It's actually quite lowering... (Sorry, can't help myself.) But with a regular monotony that really annoys the living daylights out of me, my chair begins to sink down as the pneumatic gas lift fails... dropping me in shuddering and sometimes a gliding stop closer to the floor.

Why, I hear you ask...

Did you know that the pneumatic gas lift in your office chair has a use by date? No? Neither did I. In fact, the cheaper the chair, the shorter it's life span. Well, that makes sense right? What I didn't know is that you can do a simple replacement of the gas lift component and you don't have to be a lego fanatic to achieve this fabulous outcome.

There are 3 ways of dealing with this...

(1) Buy a new chair... Uh, no I don't think so...

(2) Buy a replacement gas fitting (reasonably inexpensive and easy to achieve for around $50 - $60) Ebay and google are your friend if you choose this option or

(3) The Chair Saver Kit. Now the only problem I have is in getting one of these somewhere in Australia (If someone knows, tell me, please!!)


In the past, this would have meant saying goodbye to a comfy workhorse chair, but now the future is assured. (Now I don't have a stake in this, just tired of the sinking feeling!)

Eureka!

Imogene

Edit: I just found this page. It's full of ideas. Now, you need to try them at your own risk, but you may find something that works for you!  http://www.howtomendit.com/answers.php?id=90400

2 comments:

  1. I had a completely different problem with my good computer chair. Half way through a blog post, I leaned back and realised I was leaning rather far back. In slow motion the chair tipped me backwards, the metal underneath bending, as I shrieked and my daughter laughed at me. Somewhere around 90 degrees, my legs waving in the air, the metal snapped and we fell to the ground.

    It wasn't my finest moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! Never a good look, I agree!

    ReplyDelete