Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Websites and Writing

So I was reading a dead interesting blog by Dear Author about the importance of remembering that the website is for the benefit of your readers, not the author and I sat and mulled it over for some time. Made notes of the elements that were suggested as essential and you know what? Each item made sense.

I went back to my new website (which I crafted - how I love saying that!) and checked that I had most of the elements in place... Then I turned back to my blog and to my horror, realised I was missing a heap of information ... always the way isn't it? You don't realise what you are missing until someone points it out. Things like links to my Facebook page etc., So now, when you look on the right hand side of the page, all the links are there. >>>>>

So how is a website like writing, you ask? Writing is like building websites, in that we can check and work and polish but at the end of the day, it is only as good as what the reader (or in the case of a website), visitor sees and is hoping to get out of it. I can read and read and read my manuscript until my eyes are just about bleeding but miss things that should be easy to spot. Maybe that is because I am too close to it. Maybe it is because my brain knows what should be there, rather than the actual items I am searching for. But at the end of the day, if it is missing information, you miss the point.

So with that in mind, I am off to work on edits for Book 2 - Starfire .... I have a sneaking suspicion that I may need to find someone not to close to it, to read it through ....

Till next time

Be good and have fun!

Imogene

No comments:

Post a Comment