Friday, April 27, 2012

My new computer

I'm blogging about a new computer?  Well, I have to admit, I'm a bit of a techno-junkie and have been hanging out for one for a while.  For ages I have been limping along my hated compaq laptop, which really was the worst computer purchase I ever made :(.  This week I told hubs I needed a new one.  So I jumped on Ebay and started scouting.

I knew what I wanted - enough memory to keep me out of trouble, a reasonable amount of RAM and a stand alone graphics chip.  Not much to ask?  And I didn't want to pay alot.  Yeah.  My list isn't really that long.

So 3 days and not a terribly huge amount later, my new computer has arrived.  So for most of the day, I have been loading up software.  The most interesting thing I have found, is that it came preloaded with Vista.  Not a bad thing.  Seems very stable, so I'm quite pleased.  But I have had to install updates.  Lots of updates.  Actually 133 updates.  Sigh.  The things you do :) so you can run certain programs.

I have it down to around 60+ to go...I may have to leave it to run all night so it gets them all.

What kind of computer?  A Samsung R610... faster, more hassle free than anything I have had for a long long time.  I like the look, the feel, the numeric keypad, the light weight and yes the slimline styling.


Doesn't it look spiffy?  So the next thing is to order a skin for it.  Something out of spacey...I'm still tossing up what and where, but I do have ideas.

So far I have installed:

  • Skype
  • Scrivener (still having an issue there, though I think it is to do with something from the loading)
  • Edit Pad Lite
  • Photofiltre
  • Google Chrome (gotta have a good alternative browser)
  • Dropbox (makes moving files between computers super easy)
  • ITunes (well, I could hardly be expected to survive without it, now could I?)
  • Java...
The list is almost endless.  I am bringing over files as fast as I can, and getting really excited.  Tonight I was able to play my fave facebook games without interruption or timing out.  Ohhh, I almost go gooey at the knees!

Yes, I think I'm happy.  Now to find out my Sims discs I think :)

Imogene


1 comment:

  1. From that long list of applications, I really do think you are going to need a laptop with a large random access memory. With access to more memory, a techno-junkie like you can perform a number of applications at the same time and you’ll be able to quickly save and open large files without difficulty. The Samsung R610 is quite a choice. You will not be disappointed with its performance.

    Benita Bolland

    ReplyDelete