Tuesday, March 5, 2013

A Close Encounter With... Janet Elizabeth Henderson

Welcome to the Close Encounter stage, Janet!

Please tell us a little about yourself and your writing journey.

My latest novel is called The Davina Code. In the book, ex-cop Jack Miller inherits a house. He also inherits a tenant. It's safe to say that he isn't pleased about either. He's convinced Davina is doing something illegal in his house. The only problem is - he's not sure if he wants to put her in jail, or take her to bed. Probably both! Davina, meanwhile is up to no good. Just not the same 'no good' that Jack suspects. She's filming a movie in his house, without his permission and using 'borrowed' equipment to do it. It's a race to see what will happen first - movie, jail or bed!

This book was a lot of fun to write. I love it when characters are flummoxed by each other, but can't run from the attraction they feel. There's this tug of war between them and you're never quite sure who will win. And as an added bonus, while I was writing The Davina Code, I learned a few things too. I thought I'd share my new found knowledge with you. 

Five things I learned while writing The Davina Code:

1. Don't tempt fate with your plot! In the Davina Code, the hero Jack gets his hands on a chainsaw for the first time. He has no idea what he's doing and doesn’t check where the tree will land when it falls. Needless to say, he trashes something important and causes chaos. I wrote this scene a whole year before my husband bought a new chainsaw. You know where this is going right? So far he's destroyed, two fences, part of the neighbour's shed, one chicken coop and taken out the bridge over the stream. All because, like Jack, it doesn't occur to him to figure out where the tree might land first!

2. I'm hopelessly out of date! Davina is an actress. A terrible one, sure, but she still wants to be famous. I modelled her on all of the golden era actresses that I love - Rita Hayworth, Lauren Bacall etc. Only to discover that no one watches that stuff any more! Some of my readers have no idea who I'm talking about. Trust me, I get the mail to prove it. So, either I have to rent Twilight (and I'd rather stick a fork in my eye!) or I have to stop talking about films from the 1940's.

3. Don't try to multitask while writing. While writing The Davina Code, I tried to squeeze some writing time in during one of the school holidays . My hope was that my two little girls would leave me alone long enough to think. Nope. They came into my office asking if they could use something to make art. Without looking, I waved them away saying yes, thinking - anything for a minute's peace! A while later I went to the toilet. There wasn't one sheet of toilet paper in the whole house. That was what they'd wanted to use to make art. A large paper mache cat, to be exact. This would have been funny, if it wasn't for the fact my car was in the garage and we live an hour's walk from the nearest shop. I had to improvise. I'm not telling you how!

4. Spell check is a waste of time! You need real people to read through your final manuscript before you publish it. At least three of them, preferably more, because mistakes squeeze through. I published The Davina Code with an excerpt at the back of it for another of my books - Laura's Big Break. Only the excerpt was entitled, Laura's Big Beak and the hero didn't wear a t-shirt - nope, I'd missed out a crucial letter in that word… Not ideal! This is the second time Laura's had a big beak. I sent out a press release with that mistake too. You'd think I'd be looking for it by now!

5. Make them laugh, make them cry! I'm known for the humour in my work. And I love making people laugh. Heck, I love making myself laugh! But I figured out while writing The Davina Code that the best laughs, the real belly-roll-on-the-floor-gasping-for-breath-laughs, come after the tears. You need dark moments, intense moments for the reader so that the humour will be a relief - otherwise it can all get a bit sickening. Like too much cake! 


Here is a taste of what happens when Jack meets Davina for the first time:

This was insane. And yet, she was doing it. This was exactly the kind of situation that made Davina’s parents despair. She didn’t know why crazy things kept happening to her. They just did. And trying to lead an ordinary, quiet life only seemed to make things worse. She shook her head a little. Now wasn’t the time to wonder why she wasn’t normal. Right now she had to concentrate on the fact that she had her hand in the pocket of jeans belonging to a strange man. Jeans he was still wearing.
“Goodness, these are tight,” she muttered, as she tried to get a grip on his phone without actually touching him.
He grunted.
“I don’t usually do this sort of thing,” she told him.
For a brief minute she wasn’t sure what she was explaining exactly - the fact she’d knocked him out and tied him up, or the fact she was rooting around in his trousers.
“I mean, I don’t usually hit people. Hardly ever. And not without provocation.”
Her fingers touched leather. She angled herself further over the gorilla’s body to get a grip on the wallet. Seriously. Who wore their jeans this tight?
“I hope I didn’t do any permanent damage. I just wanted you to stop breaking into my house.” She looked down at him. “You understand, right?”
His dark eyes stared up at her.
“Sweetheart, you have your cleavage in my face and your hand down my trousers. There is nothing about this I understand.”
Davina jerked back from him, pulling out the wallet. His face was as red as hers felt. The air between them seemed warmer and she was aware of every tiny movement he made.
“Got it,” she said triumphantly, and to her disgust, rather breathlessly.
“Look at the ID,” he said through gritted teeth.
She flicked the wallet open. There he was, strained and serious, glaring at her from his driver’s licence.
“This is a terrible picture,” she told him.
“Yeah, I was worried sick about what you’d think of my photo ID.”
“Jack Miller, thirty six, that’s all it tells me.”
She flicked through the rest of the wallet. Four credit cards, one library card, which surprised her as he didn’t look the type that read, and one video card. Twenty pounds and change, and a condom that expired in the 90’s.
“This is out of date,” she told him before she could stop herself.
“I don’t intend to use it. It’s my lucky condom.”
“How can it be lucky if you can’t get lucky with it?”
Honestly, the man was an idiot. She thought she heard him gnashing his teeth.
“How is this supposed to help me?” She waved the wallet in front of him. “There is nothing in here that says you own this house.”
His sharp jaw clenched as his head turned slowly on a neck that was thicker than her thigh.
“Get the phone. I want you to call Brighton Police and ask for a friend of mine, Andy Harper. He’ll tell you the truth.”
“You have a friend in the police?” Her voice went into high-pitched Betty Boop territory, which she knew wasn’t attractive.
His eyes narrowed.
“I was police. Eighteen years. Drug division. Brighton.”
Davina gulped as everything within her ran around in a panic. She flicked her eyes towards the house. He’d almost gotten in. She flicked her eyes back to him. She’d hit a policeman?
“It isn’t so entertaining now is it?” he asked drolly.

You can find more information on my books at my website:
 Psst... This one is going into my TBR pile!

Thanks for joining us today Janet!  We hope to see a lot more of your work.

Imogene

No comments:

Post a Comment