Thursday, January 30, 2014

When we return... and why we stopped

Today's blog, is, I think, aptly named.

Now that school has resumed (can I hear a Eureka?) and Christmas is over (pooh!) and the edits are done, I can finally settle back into the story I've been working on for some time.

Sure, I should be working on something else, but I need that zing of creativity at the moment to right my world.

With great trepidation, I open the file. Finally, there before me is the masterpiece I'm creating. So different from anything else I've written. My historical...

Gulp. It's been months (at least two) since I've looked at the file. I haven't really had time to consider it, to think about it, to get back into the headspace to write the words and continue the theme. How the hell can I possibly begin to drop back into the story?

I sweat. Shake. Shiver, even.

What if I... stuff it up?

All things I fear. But I need this. It's there, the story is just beyond my grasp.

I open my files, the research docs and spreadsheets, I read through the scenes I've already written.

Oh yes, I read them - Out Loud. (Thankfully no one else is home.)

I listen to my voice, think about the words. A tiny change here and there is okay, because it's letting me immerse myself in the story.

Then there - the light shines and the story tumbles from my fingers, twisting and twining it's way toward my next goal.

Sometimes the art of coming back to a piece is challenging. (Challenges are great - in moderation!) Depending on the reason for stopping (for me it was like a mental exhaustion and pending edits/finish series work etc) all you can do is walk away from a manuscript.

Was it a case of "writer's block?"

I don't think so.

See, I've never been one to push what isn't there. When the story stops flowing, I listen to my inner voice. You know the one -- It's tenacious and insidious. It's the one that says "you're stuck, give it a rest" -- but I like it enough to keep it around. Why? I can hear your questions!

It keeps me focussed most of the time, then hints that maybe I'm pushing too hard when things get tough. It has saved me tons of re-writes and angst, pain and anger. All because I let it direct my creative efforts.

It's also the one that says, "You're ready to resume."

So what has my inner voice got to do with returning? Reopening a manuscript? Lots! See, today, with edits done and kids off my hands, it's whispered in the low and sultry tone... "Come back! Write. You're ready." And dutifully, I have. Its not quite lunchtime and I've managed 1000 words.

Not a lot, it's true, but after 2 months away, it feels like a breath of fresh air. The words are there and I'm heading back to welcome them.

That's the way I work, but I'd love to hear how you handle returning to a manuscript after a break - as well as why you took that time out.

Imogene

No comments:

Post a Comment