Monday, July 2, 2012

Winter/Summer what's the difference?

Man...it's freezing again today. They tell us that the temps are going to start dropping again this week. I knew it was too good to be true. *sigh*

Meanwhile, I am reliably informed, it's sweltering in New York. But right about now, I'd settle for Spring weather. Actually I settle for 10 degrees warmer, even. I can't seem to feel my toes half the time...

But today's blog is more a quick look at the way weather plays a funny part in Australian authors lives vs those living in the UK and USA.

Last month I participated in the Science Fiction Romance Brigades Summer Solstice Blog Hop (which is really funny because I was freezing my patooties off here while putting it together) and I am due to participate in a Summer Scavenger Hunt soon (right smack dab in the middle of winter - frosts and all!) Yes, for us here in Australia it is mid winter. So I'm writing scenes and blogs about summer while wearing my usb warming gloves. Usually while sitting in the warmest winter 'jamas I own, in bed.

5 major differences:

Food:

Salads and Barbeques vs Casseroles, Roasts and Fresh Bread

Clothes:

Bikinis, Shorts and Sarongs vs Jumpers, thermals and bed socks (don't forget the mittens!!)

Drinks:

Ice Cold Tea and Milkshakes vs Hot Chocolate (but the marshmallows help)

Activities:

Swimming & reading beachside vs board games inside & romantic fireside interludes

Shoes:

FlipFlops (Thongs) and sneakers vs Boots and warm slippers

Soo... yes, I will be thinking slightly envious (and warming) thoughts of you all over there, while I quietly turn into an ice block over here...

And to news...

Starburst is finally complete (well, sort of...) It's still horrendously rough, but the bones are there now. Next week... when it's warmer... when the kids go back to school... Nope, I won't be procrastinating here...much :)



But it feels pretty good to be able to say it :) So that episode of my life is closing - there only being one short story to go... and then that universe is complete.

Imogene

1 comment:

  1. They have USB warming gloves! I want, I want!
    Congrats on the ending, Nicola. :)
    Whitney

    ReplyDelete