Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Conundrums and more Conundrums

So here I sit in my cold cold office, with fingers that feel like they are likely to break off as iciciles in the freezing weather if it gets any colder. I can hear the chorus of "Hop Into Bed!" running in my mind, but with kids about to go to school and more work including re-writes for the book calling, I know I will have to soldier on. Which leads me to the main reason for today's blog:

Sex, Sex and More Sex....(at least in a romance book or Sci-Fi if you are me.)

One thing I learnt while I was away is that some guys just don't get the whole romance aspect of a sci-fi romance. A friend of hubbys (who is a really nice guy, with a fabulous wife, both professionals who have known us for over 10 years and we consider them good close friends) settled down with my manuscript while we were away, flicking through the pages. Hubby had called it raunchy (in warning to him) to which I valiantly disputed it wasn't (well not by most of today's standards anyway.) Flick, flick, flicking through the pages he found the first of what my CP calls my intimate scenes. Uh huh, watching his face turn shades of red, but you know what? He kept reading. He had no clue I could write like that or even knew some of that information!

So I thought about it, the expectations people have about women who are WAMP's (White, Anglo-Saxon, Married & Professionals) and it occurrs to me, that for all our hard work at changing peoples perspectives of women and their needs, there is still a core (and a strong core at that) of people who believe that it is still Great Auntie Mary who never married who read these books for the titilation value. Now we know that the romance readership is varied and includes Men and Women of all ages, walks of life etc., From Accountants, Solicitors and even Barristers through to the lowliest cleaner...(not that I think they are lowly personally but you get my drift.) I am not sure how we overcome this except by coming out of the closet about our reading choices, what appeals to us and why we read these books.

For me, it is escape, sure I would be the first to agree to that, but also that instinctive need for closeness, romance and love. The concept of hope that seems to thread through a lot of the stories....and yes I get my HEA (Happy Ever After.) To be fair sometimes my HEA waits 3 or more books (bummer!) but I keep hanging out for it because I believe that I have invested emotion into those books - formed a bond with the characters, and I want to see them finally find that special man/woman/relationship. Yes! And I want to be challenged, either in seeking new worlds or just thinking about what is a reality for that cattle farmer down the road. (Not looking for much am I?)

So the next time you are in a bookstore, be loud and proud about your romance novel. Don't hide it in a brown paper bag. On the train, on Facebook or anywhere else you can think of, show off the book you are reading. It is only with a concerted effort that we can change the societal concept of romance readers and our expectations.

Okay, now back to my normal program.....Chloe Neill here I come :)

Happy Reading
Imogene Nix

No comments:

Post a Comment